I started with a cotton toile which fitted quite well but needed to shorten the pattern and removed some of the bust shaping. Once this was done I transferred the adjustments to the paper pattern and was ready to go.
I found this beautiful silk jacquard at The Fabric Store . It looks grey in this photo but it's black with lurex thread so it has a lovely shimmer.
I picked up this gorgeous rhinestone ribbon from, Darn Cheap Fabrics and I'll use it for the trim.
Before cutting I backed my fabric onto woven fusible interfacing.
I made sure I kept enough fabric for the hip basque of the tutu. I'm not sure if I will use it but I want to make sure I have the option.
Top fabric cut and ready for backing.
I always mount my bodices onto washed calico. You can use more expensive backing fabric but I find this works well and is comfortable for the wearer. Once it's pinned on I cut it out and stitch it together.
I'm a bit lazy and often don't bother tacking the top fabric and calico together. I just pin it and overlock it together taking the pins out as I go.
When I'm feeling really lazy or in a hurry, I don't even cut it out properly, I just cut it out quickly and trim off the excess with the overlocker. I wouldn't suggest you do this unless you are very experienced and have very good machining skills. You have to watch out for pins and it works best on pieces with smooth, long curves. You also have to make sure your tension on your overlocker is spot on.
All overlocked together and ready to go.
For the tutu plate, I'm using this silver and black lurex lace so I'm also using that in the centre panel. As you can see the design of the lace is not symmetrical so I will have to do some applique to help make it work. It may not need it with the rhinestone trim, I'll just have to see.
Stay tuned for the next part of the bodice.